Fun Facts of Dubai

The tallest building is a flower

Ok, not really. But it is based on a flower. The world tables building, the Burj Khalifa, is based on a local desert flower: humenocallis. Also known as the spider lily.

There are three feet or lobes which form the architectural base of the Burj Khalifa and echo the shape of this flower.

1. Dubai has robot as jockeys

Camel racing is one of the most popular sports in Dubai. Jockeys need to be tiny, however to prevent children from being used for their small size they now use small robots as jockeys. 

2. and the world’s fastest police cars

The police in Dubai are quick, very quick. They drive cars such as a Ferrari FF, Lamborghini Aventado and Aston Martin One-77. But the fastest police car is the Bugatti Veyron which they purchased for US 1.6 million dollar. 

3. 85% of Dubai’s population is foreign

It is estimated that about 15% of Dubai’s population are Emiratis, the other 85% are expatriates. Most of the workers building Dubai’s hundreds of skyscrapers immigrated to the UAE from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. The class divide is big, many of the immigrant workers are living and working in horrible conditions. While, Emiratis have their rent, education and medical bills paid for and upper-class foreigners earn extremely attractive salaries. 

4. They have vending machine’s for laptops

In Dubai vending machines dispense a lot more than chocolate bars of cans of drinks. From gold bars to false eyelashes and laptops. 

5. A later sunset in some buildings

The Burj Khalifa is so tall that the people living on the higher levels have to wait approximately two minutes longer for the sun to set. They have to start two minutes longer before they can break fast during Ramadan. 

6. Lots and lots of tourists

It is the fourth most visited city in the world after London, Paris and Bangkok. 

7. 35 years after founding Dubai had only 13 registered cars

Dubai was founded in 1833 and at 1968 there were only 13 cars registered. In 2009 when Dubai opened its Metro it was the longest automated rail network in the world.

MY posts

Dubai is one of those places you visit because you have a stop-over. Well, that’s what we did. A stop over in Dubai and just about enough time to explore the city. It’s interesting, though not really our thing. 

No Results Found

The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.

Become a MYgrant

Subscribe to our Magazine
Yes please!